The last week was one of lots of reading and yarny surprises. It was also one of work investigations then consequent terminations — one very professionally handled, the other very hostile. The mix of events this week reminded me of the infamous “Forrest Gump” quote:
My momma always said, “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
Life’s like that sometimes, you have to take to good with the bad, the sweet with the bitter. Really reflecting on the week has made me even more grateful for my “happy”, my blessings and lessons learned.
I know the goal is to list 4 things, but this week, I had so much more than that.
- A lovely yarny surprise from my friend Monique. As a Christmas gift, she brought me a project bag. I love that the fabric represents the subway map in my neck of the woods!! She also brought me some roving to practice my spinning before I, as she says, “use up your good stuff”.
- My last yarn club 2012 delivery — MadTosh 80/10/10 in Pendleton Red. Not a red fan but I love this.
- A birthday subscription to Digital Photo Pro from my friend Dominique. She got this as part of my birthday 2012 gift; I got my first issue last week! I’m not sure if my photography skills are any better than last year, but I’ve already gotten great tips from this month’s issue!
- Another yarny surprise from my friend Megan. She mailed this as a Christmas gift but the P.O. delivered it last week. Crushed but it’s delivered. I’m grateful that with all the stuff she was dealing with during the holidays, she thought enough of me make this beautiful ornament. I have to toss the shards (bad Post Office!!!) then insert another ball, so her wonderful beading can show.
- More Christmas gifts — The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (very unexpected Christmas gift from my cousin’s soon to be ex-wife. The gift comes with long story that I really should skip ) and from my other cousin’s husband … The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
The Intangible “Happy”
- A phone call from my Dr. to tell me that one of the conditions I’m managing had good results! One less manageable aspect of it has totally disappeared while the other more manageable aspect has stayed the same. Woohooo!!!!
- Awesome interaction with a co-worker (who rarely speaks) about my reading Madame Bovary. It was wonderful to see her come alive when she realized I was reading this book. Equally rewarding was finding out about her passion for classic literature.
- Gratitude for my parents and their insistence that my brothers and I develop and exhibit integrity. Events at work this week made me really grateful for this.
- Being able to go to the yarn shop, pick up accessories while resisting the urge to purchase more yarn. Have y’all seen my stash? LOLOL!!! Huge accomplishment for me.
- Leisurely strolling around the city for absolutely no reason but to take a walk.
- Having my friend Charmaine call me to invite me to her wedding. She so deserves to be happy this way!!!